Are you on Discord? If so, you might also be thinking of becoming the next big gaming streamer.
But what if you’re voice-shy or have another reason you don’t want to use your own voice? For instance, you want to remain anonymous when streaming.
There’s a really cool solution for that and it’s called Clownfish Voice Changer.
In this article, we’ll show you how to install the Clownfish Voice Changer and use it with your Discord, as well as what to do in case you run into any problems with it and it’s not working.
Also, while you’re at it, you might want to know how Discord malware might spread to your computer.
What is a Clownfish Voice Changer?
So what is the Clownfish Voice Changer? Well, it’s an application you can use to change your voice.
It works with any software or app that uses your microphone or some other audio-capturing device, such as Skype, Steam, TeamSpeak, Mumble, Viber, Hangouts and of course Discord and can change your voice into the following effects:
- Baby pitch
- Custom pitch
- Fast Mutation
- Female pitch
- Helium pitch
- Male pitch
- Slow mutation
In addition, Clownfish Voice Changer has other features like a Music Player which supports different media formats, a Sounds Player and a Virtual Studio Technology (VST).
How to Download and Install Clownfish Voice Changer
The app is only available on Windows machines, from Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
You can download one of three versions from the Clownfish Voice Changer download page:
- 64-bit (with 32-bit VST)
- 64-bit (with 64-bit VST)
- 32-bit (with 32-bit VST)
The version you’ll download depends on whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit machine. The way to check this will be different on Vista, 7, 8 and 10:
- On Vista: Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System > System type.
- On Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > System type.
- On Windows 8, 8.1 and 10: Control Panel > System and Security > System > System type.
From then on it’s a simple thing of choosing the Clownfish Voice Changer version that corresponds to your CPU bits, clicking download, opening the download file on your computer and following on-screen instructions.
How to Set Up and Use Clownfish Voice Changer on Discord?
Okay, now let’s set up the Clownfish Voice Changer on your Discord app.
- Open the Discord app on your computer.
- Next, open the Clownfish Voice Changer app, also on your computer desktop.
- You should hear a sound notifying you that the Clownfish Voice Changer is on and its icon will appear in your System Tray.
- Now right-click on the icon in the System Tray and from the set of options select Set Voice Changer.
- Once you do that, a new window will appear with several icons. Clicking on any of them will allow you to select the kind of voice you want to use on Discord (see the list of available voice effects above).
- That’s it. You should now be able to use Clownfish Voice Changer on Discord and anyone listening will hear the voice you selected in the app.
Clownfish Voice Changer Not Working on Discord?
Notice that I said, “should”. Unfortunately, your Clownfish Voice Changer app might not work on Discord for several reasons.
Take a look at what these reasons might be, what causes them and how to fix the problem.
Why Clownfish Might Not Work?
There are two main reasons why Clownfish might not work on your computer or Discord:
- The Discord and Skype versions you are using are incompatible with one another.
- Your mic has failed to sync with the app properly.
There are, of course, other possible reasons for Clownfish Voice Changer not working, but these are the two that you should look into first.
Now let’s take a look at for methods you can use to fix this problem:
Make sure Skype and Discord versions are compatible.
As we already said, your Skype and Discord apps might not be compatible. This is because your version of Skype might not correctly support Clownfish.
To find what version of Skype you have:
- Open Skype on your desktop.
- Tap your profile picture.
- Go to Settings.
- Click Help & Feedback.
- You’ll see the version you have under the Skype logo.
Next, you should check your Discord version:
- Go to the Discord help page.
- Open Discord.
- View the version by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+I.
Install Clownfish in the default location.
If you install Clownfish in a custom location (not the default “C drive” where apps usually go), this might cause some problems.
In this case, it’s a simple matter of uninstalling Clownfish and then reinstalling it in the “correct” location, namely C:\Program Files (x86)\Clownfish.
Restart your computer and see if this works.
Make sure your microphone is working properly.
The issue might not be caused by Clownfish at all, but rather by your mic, so be sure that it is working properly (i.e. it’s not damaged or has bad drivers).
If you are sure that your microphone is A-OK, you can proceed to install it on Clownfish.
You need to update Clownfish.
Finally, Clownfish Voice Changer might not work for you because you need to update it. Fortunately, this is easy to do, but it’s important because it fixes bugs from previous versions and the older version you are using might be incompatible with your other software, like Discord.
Fortunately, updating Clownfish is easy to do:
- Open Clownfish from the System Tray.
- In the drop-down list, click Check for Updates.
- Follow the instructions to update to the latest version. Right now that is V1.35, which has removed some audio glitches and fixed Clownfish crashing on close, in addition to other improvements and fixes.
That’s it. You now know how to install and set up the Clownfish app on your PC, set it up for your Discord app and what to do if Clownfish Voice Changer is not working with Discord.
Enjoy using it and happy streaming!